The rapper and his longtime colleague Damon Dash were sued last year by a member of Loisaidas, a Latin singing group, who claims the name has been tarnished by West and Dash. Michael Medina said the name was used to promote murder, violence, and drug sales in the duo’s movie collaboration of the same name.
On Thursday, the suit was dismissed after Judge Katherine Forrest disagreed with Medina’s claims. “Loisaidas,” which refers to Manhattan’s Lower East Side, is apparently fair game considering that’s where the film takes place and has nothing to do with the singing group.
Judge Forrest said the Loisaidas film title “clearly has artistic relevance” and that Medina’s complaint “is devoid of concrete allegations that defendants attempted to suggest that plaintiff’s duo produced the work; to the contrary, as evidenced by Exhibit D to the operative complaint, materials promoting the film prominently informed the reader that it was ‘Executive Produced: Dame Dash & Kanye West.’”
The news comes just days after Kanye celebrated his late mom’s birthday with a touching message.
Finally, a win for Mr. West this week.
SOURCE: Billboard | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Every Picture That Proves Kanye's Fashion During "808s & Heartbreak" Was Pure Gold
1. Casually stuntin'.Source:Getty 1 of 21
2. Too dapper.Source:Getty 2 of 21
3. Louis Vuitton Don.Source:Getty 3 of 21
4. The epic "Runaway" performance.Source:Getty 4 of 21
5. Two words: Bubble Vests.Source:Getty 5 of 21
6. Hov & 'Ye...in suspenders.Source:Getty 6 of 21
7. That haircut, though.Source:Getty 7 of 21
8. The red stage.Source:Getty 8 of 21
9. Backpack 'Ye was dope.Source:Getty 9 of 21
10. BAPE.Source:Getty 10 of 21
11. And after the red stage, there was more red.Source:Getty 11 of 21
12. Eyes behind shades.Source:Getty 12 of 21
13. Remember when Kanye smiled?Source:Getty 13 of 21
14. Kanye in green pants? Very rare.Source:Getty 14 of 21
15. Louis Vuitton-ed out.Source:Getty 15 of 21
16. Smooth as f*ck.Source:Getty 16 of 21
17. Oh, how things have changed.Source:Getty 17 of 21
18. That time he decided sight was not a necessity.Source:Getty 18 of 21
19. Classic 'Ye.Source:Getty 19 of 21
20. Another pair of epic sunglasses.Source:Getty 20 of 21
21. When his red carpet attire consisted of a fitted and kicks.Source:Getty 21 of 21
Champions: Kanye West & Dame Dash Win ‘Loisaidas’ Film Lawsuit was originally published on globalgrind.com