On Sunday, June 17th Love Now Media will lead a social media campaign encouraging people in the City of Philadelphia and Beyond to write letters with the hashtag #LoveLetterToMyFather.
The campaign is part of a series of love-themed events being produced by the organization for 11 Days of Love Stories from June 11th through June 21st. In dominant media culture, stories about fathers are usually associated with discipline, monetary support, and protection. Those narratives often lack the essence of “love” which is commonly associated with softness, vulnerability, and femininity. However, as narratives about horrific acts of sexual assault and harassment also flood social media timelines and mainstream media, and make believe dad’s like Bill Cosby’s Cliff Huxtable dissipate into the firestorm of those accused.
The Love Now Media team decided it was an important time for love stories about dads – that includes biological and non-biological fathers, brothers, uncles, mentors and men in communities who have stepped up to be role models.
Jos Duncan, Founder and Chief Storyteller started her social enterprise, Love Now Media, last year to tell stories “that lean toward justice, wellness and equity.” The 11 Days of Love Stories is a mini-festival featuring free storytelling events across Philly with partners ranging from WHYY and the African American Museum of Philadelphia to Germantown coffeeshop, Uncle Bobbie’s Coffee and Books and filmmaker Ava DuVernay’s ARRAY.
” The love storytelling workshops are not just for writers and storytellers,” Duncan wrote in a press release, “but for anyone looking to connect with the love as a value in building new relationships, healing, nurtuting communities, advocating for justice, making a social impact and finding happiness amidst our world’s media climate which is often saturated with stories of chaos.”
Here are the other events you can find in the series through June 21:
Day 7: Sunday, June 17
- What — Love Online: Love Letter To My Father (write a love letter and use the hashtag #LoveLetterToMyFather)
- Where — Facebook, Instagram and Twitter, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- How much — Free
Day 8: Monday, June 18
- What — Love Storytelling Workshop
- Where — Franny Lou’s Porch (2400 Coral St.), 6 to 8 p.m.
- How much — Free (must make a purchase)
Day 9: Tuesday, June 19
- What — Radical Love: The Art of Storytelling as a Lifeline (all-male “genius” panel featuring Raphael Xavier, Kash Goins, Ozzie Jones and Jeffrey Page)
- Where — African American Museum of Philadelphia (701 Arch St.), 6 to 8 p.m.
- How much — $7, includes refreshments
Day 10: Wednesday, June 20
- What — Movie screening of “Jewel’s Catch One” with ARRAY (featuring a post-show discussion with Amber Hikes, director of Philadelphia’s Office of LGBT Affairs, and Cee Smith, LGBT angel investor)
- Where — PFS Roxy Theater (2023 Sansom St.), 7 p.m.
- How much — $11
Day 11: Thursday, June 21
- What — Finding Sanctuary: Stories from the Community with WHYY (featuring storytellers Jos Duncan and Khalil Munir)
- Where — Church of the Advocate (1800 Diamond St.), 6 to 8:30 p.m.
- How much — Free
By: Tiffanie Stanard, Host/Producer @Philly_Speaks