Hurricane Sandy is due hit the East Coast late Sunday night through early Monday morning. In the past, lack of preparation and awareness are common mistakes that occur in all major hurricane disasters. While you can not stop the path of the hurricane, you can do you best to prepare.
Here are some things to know when preparing for hurricane Sandy:
Before a hurricane:
- Reinforce your garage doors; if wind enters a garage it can cause dangerous and expensive structural damage.
- Install a generator for emergencies.
- In a high-rise building, be prepared to take shelter on or below the 10th floor.
- Learn community hurricane evacuation routes and how to find higher ground. Determine where you would go and how you would get there if you needed to evacuate.
During a hurricane:
- Listen to the radio or TV for information.
- Turn off utilities if instructed to do so. Otherwise, turn the refrigerator thermostat to its coldest setting and keep its doors closed.
- Avoid using the phone, except for serious emergencies.
- Ensure a supply of water for sanitary purpose such as cleaning and flushing toilets. Fill the bathtub and other larger containers with water.
After a hurricane:
- Continue listening to a NOAA Weather Radio or the local news for the latest updates.
- Stay alert for extended rainfall and subsequent flooding even after the hurricane or tropical storm has ended
- Drive only if necessary and avoid flooded roads and washed¬ out bridges. Stay off the streets. If you must go out watch for fallen objects; downed electrical wires; and weakened walls, bridges, roads, and sidewalks.
- Keep away from loose or dangling power lines and report them immediately to the power company.
- Walk carefully around the outside your home and check for loose power lines, gas leaks and structural damage before entering.
Like Hot1079Philly on Facebook to stay on top of your favorite black celebrities:
Text Hot To “80185”
Biggie Small's Killer Revealed, 24 Years Later
Nicki Minaj ft. Chris Brown - Right By My Side [New Music]
Brooke Bailey Before the Plastic Surgery
Chris Brown Caught SNIFFING 'Coke' Inside NightClub!!
Secrets OUT! Meet J.Cole's Wife; Melissa Heholt [Photos]
Omi In A Hellcat Facing 514 Years in Prison, Says He Found Loophole In The Law
Tessa Thompson Refused to Say 'Jawn' in Creed III Movie
Lupita Nyongo’s Most Stunning Photos: Fans Say Lupita’s Got “That Thang” On Her