If you could choose an artist to go on tour with as a photographer, who would you choose? Afshin Shahidi was the personal photographer and cinematographer to the talented musician Prince for 15 years.
His new book, Prince: A Private View depicts all his best pictures of Prince through the years.
“I worked with Prince from 1993 actually up to about 2011,” explained Shahidi.
Before getting into the book, Tom felt the need to clear up some things about Prince’s death, specifically if Shahidi knew about his struggle with drugs.
“I never saw anything, there was no evidence of it to me and quite honestly I made this book to celebrate his life rather than talk about his death,” expressed Shahidi. “I was shocked by it definitely. I had hoped he’d be going to my funeral but I didn’t delve too deep into it.”
In 2011, he stopped working as Prince’s photographer because he needed to be with his family. “I had been working with him and on the road with him for quite a bit of time and as you guys know I’m Yara’s daughter and I also have two other young children and it was difficult being gone that long from them,” explained Shahidi. “So he understood and he respected that, you know he called me occasionally after that to work with him on different projects and unfortunately being a freelance person I was already booked on other jobs.”
Of the many photos, he’s taken of Prince, Shahidi notes a couple to be among his favorites.
“You know its hard to pick one and he was such a great subject and it was actually difficult to take a bad picture of him,” expressed Shahidi. “But I really liked the photo that’s on the cover because it was very spontaneous. Very similar to how many of our shots were.”
Being able to spend time with Prince like that must have been the job of a lifetime. The book Prince: A Private View is out and can make the perfect gift for any Prince fan.
Remembering Prince Through the Years
1. Prince1 of 15
2. Prince2 of 15
3. Fact: Prince was nicknamed "Skipper" as a kid.3 of 15
4. Prince rocking out on ABC's Good Morning America in June of 2006. (PR Photos)4 of 15
5. Fact: Prince was reportedly able to play 27 instruments5 of 15
6. Prince at the 2007 Vanity Fair Oscar Party in West Hollywood, CA. (PR Photos)6 of 15
7. Prince at The Bourne Ultimatum UK Premiere in Leicester Square in 2007. (PR Photos)7 of 15
8. Prince performs at London Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2008 in Eaton Square in London. (PR Photos)8 of 15
9. Prince performs in Chicago in 2011.9 of 15
10. Prince performs at London Fashion Week Spring/Summer 2008 in Eaton Square in London. (PR Photos)10 of 15
11. Prince at the 42nd NAACP Image Awards on March 4, 2011, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo)11 of 15
12. Wax Figure of Prince Unveiled at Madame Tussaud's Wax Museum in New York on January 16, 2009. (PR Photos)12 of 15
13. Prince was awarded with an "Icon Award" at the 2013 Billboard Music Awards. (AP)13 of 15
14. Fact: Prince played electric guitar on Madonna's "Like A Prayer." (Retna)14 of 15
15. Prince15 of 15
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Job Of A Lifetime: Afshin Shahidi The Photographer For Prince was originally published on blackamericaweb.com