For some singer Andra Day exploded over night, but the 30-year-old will quickly tell you that couldn’t be further from the truth.
Equal parts cool and uniquely refreshing, the California beauty has accomplished what many artists only dream about, her debut album Cheers To The Fall has been nominated for a Grammy nomination, make that two (Best R&B Performance for Rise Up and Best R&B Album).
So how does the vocal powerhouse go from singing in a Malibu strip mall to being discovered by Stevie Wonder’s wife to appearing in Vogue, performing at the 89th Annual Macy’s Day Parade, going on tour with Lenny Kravitiz and then appearing in Apple Music’s holiday commercial?
We’ll let her tell you better.
She talks to Black America Web exclusively about her inspiration, sense of style and her journey to Music’s Biggest Night. Watch below.
Double Take: Celebrities We Think Are Secretly Related
1. Zendaya and Chanel ImanSource:Zendaya and Chanel Iman Instagram 1 of 13
2. Keisha Epps and BrandySource:Keisha Epps and Brandy Instagram 2 of 13
3. Denyce Lawton and Moniece SlaughterSource:Denyce Lawton and Moniece Slaughter Instagram 3 of 13
4. The Game and JidennaSource:Jidenna/The Game Instagram 4 of 13
5. Jada Pinkett Smith, Nicole Ari Parker, Deborah CoxSource:PR Photos 5 of 13
6. Kym Whitley and Jackee HarrySource:Kym Whitley Instagram 6 of 13
7. Teyana Taylor and Audra DaySource:Teyana Taylor Instagram/PR Photos 7 of 13
8. Jordin Sparks and America FerreraSource:PR Photos 8 of 13
9. DMX and Billy BrownSource:PR 9 of 13
10. Sheree Fletcher (Will Smith's ex wife) and CiaraSource:PR 10 of 13
11. Angela Bassett and Keke PalmerSource:PR Photos 11 of 13
12. Sevyn Streeter and Kelly RowlandSource:PR Photos 12 of 13
13. Devon Fraknklin and Trai ByersSource:Devon Franklin Instagram 13 of 13
Like BlackAmericaWeb.com on Facebook. Follow us on Twitter.
(Photo Source: Andra Day Instagram)