The Whispers [PHOTOS]
1. The WhispersSource:Getty 1 of 8
2. The WhispersSource:Getty 2 of 8
3. The WhispersSource:Getty 3 of 8
4. Nicholas “Nick” Caldwell of The WhispersSource:Getty 4 of 8
5. The WhispersSource:Getty 5 of 8
6. The WhispersSource:Getty 6 of 8
7. The Whispers in DetroitSource:Getty 7 of 8
8. The Whispers - 2012 Detroit River Days FestivalSource:Getty 8 of 8
Eurweb reported Nicholas “Nick” Caldwell, one of the founding members of The Whispers singing group, passed away Tuesday. He was 71. The cause of death is not known at this time. However, it could have been linked to his heart issues in which he had been suffering from for sometime.
Willette Ballard, the group’s publicist, published a note on Facebook last summer to fans concerned about his health:
To all the Whispers Fans and Friends, it is with great enthusiasm that I am posting a love letter from Nicholas Caldwell providing an update and overview of his current status.
Here it is in his own words (WC Ballard):
“It has been my experience that speculation can be far worse than the truth. So I thought it was important to write you (My Family of Fans) an explanation as to why I have not been able to join the Whispers on stage over the past months.
In January of this year… my cardiology team at Stanford University Hospital were all in agreement that my congestive heart failure had deteriorated to the point that they thought I had 3 to 6 months to live.
The original members twin brothers, Wallace “Scotty” and Walter Scott, along with Gordy Harmon, Marcus Hutson and Nicholas Caldwell formed the group in 1964 in Watts, California.