Spike Lee set out to save lives with Chi-Raq. The film, released today, received mix reviews. Some critics praise the controversial director for delivering his best film in years, while others think Chi-Raq’s plot is comical and ridiculous.
Whether or not you like the film, the gang violence in Chicago is real and in the words of La La, “at least you’re talking about it.”
We caught up with the cast on the orange carpet of the NYC premiere and they had a lot to say about the callous killings and violence that plague the south side.
“It is life and death, there’s no more urgent issue right now,” Harry Lennix passionately explained.
‘It’s important because it’s addressing the issues that a lot of people don’t want to talk about.” La La said.
Watch the cast talk about the film and it’s importance above.
La La, Teyonah Parris & Michelle Mitchenor Stun At 'Chiraq' Premiere In NYC
1. The Cast Of 'Chiraq'Source:Getty 1 of 11
2. Teyonah Parris & Michelle MitchenorSource:Getty 2 of 11
3. La La & Carmelo AnthonySource:Getty 3 of 11
4. La La & Spike LeeSource:Getty 4 of 11
5. John Cusack & Harry LennixSource:Getty 5 of 11
6. Anthony Chisholm, Kissk, Nick Cannon, Tonya Lewis Lee, Director Spike Lee, Satchel Lee, La La Anthony, Carmelo Anthony & Cassandra FreemanSource:Getty 6 of 11
7. Nick CannonSource:Getty 7 of 11
8. Michelle MitchenorSource:Getty 8 of 11
9. George Willborn, Harry Lennix, director Spike Lee & John TurturroSource:Getty 9 of 11
10. A$AP FergSource:Getty 10 of 11
11. Laz AlonsoSource:Getty 11 of 11
Spike Lee On Chi-Raq: ‘I’m Going To Save Lives With This Film’ was originally published on hellobeautiful.com