Meet 15-year-old Reece Whitley. The Philadelphia native is the brand new cover star of Sports Illustrated KIDS and the 2015 SportsKid of the Year!
Standing at a towering 6’8, Reece has quickly taken the swimming world by a storm.
The sophomore at William Penn Charter School has won a junior national championship and holds five individual national age-group records in the pool, where he has become one of the top young swimmers in the country. His times in the 100- and 200-meter breaststroke last year qualified him to compete at the 2016 U.S. Olympic Trials this June in Omaha, Nebraska. He’s also become a role model for young swimmers in his community and wherever he travels. “I’ve had so much fun watching him grow, continue to love the sport, and advocate for the sport,” says Crystal Keelan, the head coach at Penn Charter Aquatic Club (PCAC). “As he’s maturing, he’s wanting to spread the word about swimming and making connections with people of all ages.”
Check out First Lady Michelle Obama special to Reece below.
Girl Power: Saluting The Best In Sports
1. Misty CopelandSource:Misty Copeland Facebook 1 of 13
2. Cappie PondexterSource:Cappie Instagram 2 of 13
3. Skylar DigginsSource:Vogue via Skylar Diggins Instagram 3 of 13
4. Ronda RouseySource:Ronda Instagram 4 of 13
5. Jackie Joyner KerseeSource:Courtesy 5 of 13
6. Althea GibsonSource:AP 6 of 13
7. Allyson FelixSource:Allyson Instagram 7 of 13
8. Venus and Serena WilliamsSource:AP 8 of 13
9. Lisa Leslie9 of 13
10. Laila AliSource:PR 10 of 13
11. Gabby DouglasSource:PR 11 of 13
12. Dominique DawesSource:PR 12 of 13
13. Sanya Richards RossSource:Sanya Instagram 13 of 13
(Photo Source: Sports Illustrated Kids Instagram)
Meet Newcomer Reece Whitley: The 2015 SportsKid Of The Year was originally published on blackamericaweb.com