Inside the issue, Henson describes Cookie’s appeals to audiences:
“Cookie is bold and crazy, and she loves the struggle. She started from nothing, and now she’s at the top. In that way, we’re alike: Cookie is the American Dream.”
“They want Cookie. They see her heart. They see her intentions. And they love her style—her style is 17 years behind the fashion curve, which makes the clothes a character on the show. As Cookie grows, you’ll see her fashion grow. And people love that—she’s a work in progress. The only thing that never changes is her spirit: To me, Cookie is living, breathing, walking truth.”
But she’s also aware of the criticism and has chosen not to respond to Cookie’s critics.
“When I hear that Cookie is a bad representation of black women, I don’t get involved. Maybe Cookie makes you uncomfortable because she reminds you of yourself. People miss the bigger picture when they start judging.”
Empire returns September 23, 2015. We know you’ll be watching.
Don’t you just love Taraji?
'Get My Shoe Porsha': Cookie's Best Moments On 'Empire'
1. Cookie's Best Moments On "Empire"1 of 15
2. When She Called Out Kitty For Spying On Her2 of 15
3. When She Wore This Fly Ensemble3 of 15
4. When She Was A Young Tenderoni In This Flashback4 of 15
5. When She Fooled Lucious Into Thinking She Was Meeting With Her Parole Officer5 of 15
6. When She Wore This Hat To Bunkie's Funeral6 of 15
7. When Lucious Said He Loves Her7 of 15
8. When She Bumped Lucious Then Kicked His Car8 of 15
9. When She Tried To Fight Kitty In The Elevator9 of 15
10. When She Called Kidd 44 A "B*tch"10 of 15
11. When She Threw Her Shoe At Lucious11 of 15
12. When She Wore this Outfit12 of 15
13. When She Happened To Be On The Steps Of The Courthouse To Give A Comment13 of 15
14. When She Wore This Fierce Gown14 of 15
15. When She Kicked Porsha Out15 of 15
Taraji P. Henson Slays On W Mag Cover, Says Cookie Is The ‘American Dream’ was originally published on hellobeautiful.com