7-year-old Lamya Cammon was just playing with her hair in class and her Congress Elementary school teacher asked her to stop playing with them. The teacher then called Lamya to the front of the class where she cut one of Lamya’s braids in half and sent her back to her desk. Lamya said, “I went to my desk and cried. And they was laughing, She threw it away, and she said, ‘Now what you gonna go home and say to your momma? ‘ And I said, ‘That you cut off my hair.’”
And of course Lamya’s mother, Helen Cunningham was and still is understandably furious. So she did what any mother would do–she went to the school to confront Lamya’s teacher. Helen told WISN News that the teacher apologized, but said that she was frustrated. Helen appreciates the apology, but said that the school district should seriously question whether the teacher should keep her job. “Why would we want someone like that teaching our kids? We trust our kids once they go to school to be safe,” Cunningham said.
“The main thing is, from the heart of the principal, and me speaking for the district, we’re very sorry that this happened,” MPS spokeswoman Roseann St. Aubin said. The Milwaukee police investigated this case and sent it over to the district attorney for possible physical or mental abuse of a child charges. The district attorney’s office decided not to file criminal charges and the police issued the teacher a $175 ticket for disorderly conduct. Wow, that’s it? Let’s just imagine if a Black teacher would have cut off a White student’s pigtail? Would she receive the same courtesy and not be charged?
What do you think beauties? Sound off in the comments below.
Whip Your Hair: Natural Hair Dolls You Just Have To Buy!
1. Beautiful DollsSource: 1 of 15
2. Cynthia BaileySource: 2 of 15
3. Candice McBrideSource: 3 of 15
4. For Real Girl Original: Red Yarn BraidsSource: 4 of 15
5. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Top Hair Bun DollSource: 5 of 15
6. Carolyn of JIL CreationsSource: 6 of 15
7. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Kinky-Hair Afro DollsSource: 7 of 15
8. Kristl Smith TylerSource: 8 of 15
9. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Urban Princess LeiaSource: 9 of 15
10. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Vintage BrandySource: 10 of 15
11. Journey Girls: ChavonneSource: 11 of 15
12. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Elegant UpdoSource: 12 of 15
13. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Curly Bun Up-do dollSource: 13 of 15
14. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Gorgeous Curly PonytailSource: 14 of 15
15. Custom Ethnic Dolls By Karen Byrd: Auburn LocsSource: 15 of 15
Milwaukee Teacher Cuts Off Student’s Natural Hair & Throws It Away In Front Of Class was originally published on hellobeautiful.com