In honor of Dyana Williams 40th anniversary in radio, here are 40 things you might not know about the legendary broadcaster:
1. Where did Dyana Williams grow up?
Answer: Bronx & Harlem
2. What other language does Dyana speak?
3. What instrument did Dyana study when she was 15 with Jimmy Heath?
4. Where did Dyana first attend college?
Answer: City College CCNY
5. What Pacifica radio station did Dyana sit in for Rob Crocker?
6. Bob “Nighthawk” Terry hired Dyana at what station for her first professional radio job?
Answer: WHUR-FM 96.3
7. What was Dyana’s radio show called in DC?
Answer: Ebony Moonbeams
8. Who recorded a song inspired by Dyana’s first DC radio show?
Answer: Ebony Moonbeams as recorded by George Cables, Bobby Hutcherson & Freddie Hubbard
9. Legendary programmer Frankie Crocker hired Dyana to work at what station?
Answer: WBLS-FM 107.5
10. Name the songwriter/producer who Dyana had three children with?
Answer: Kenny Gamble
11. Name Dyana’s three children.
Answer: Caliph, Salahdeen & Princess Idia Gamble
12. What rock station did Dyana work for?
13. What television show did Dyana work at in the nation’s capitol.
Answer: PM Magazine/WDVM
13. Dyana was a freelance entertainment reporter for what network.
14. Dyana served as a consultant for VH-1, what was the name of the show?
Answer: Soul of VH-1
15. Dyana hosted a nationally syndicated radio show with Gary Byrd, what was the name?
Answer: Star Beat
16. Dyana was music/program director for what radio station in Washington DC?
Answer: WMMJ-FM 102.3
17. What is the name of the music organization that Dyana founded in 1990?
Answer: International Association of African-American Music Foundation (IAAAM Foundation)
18. What month and what did Dyana help to get recognized by Congress?
Answer: June, Black Music Month
19. Gary Taylor was inspired by Dyana to write what song for Anita Baker?
Answer: Good Love
20. Who is godmother to Dyana’s children?
Answer: Jean Carn
21. Which artist invited Dyana to speak on his album?
Answer: Will Downing
22. What Mayor gave Dyana a Liberty Bell?
Answer: Mayor John Street
23. Which American President honored Dyana at the White House?
Answer: President George W. Bush
24. What does Dyana do with celebrity clients?
25. What year did Dyana start at WRNB-FM
26. Who is Dyana’s radio partner on Soulful Sunday?
Answer: Derrick Sampson
27. Other than the Philly area, where does Dyana live?
Answer: Treme, New Orleans
28. Which author made dedications in his books to Dyana?
Answer: E. Lynn Harris
29. Which Philadelphia Oscar nominated filmmaker is a dear friend of Dyana?
Answer: Lee Daniels
30. What does Dyana collect?
Answer: Art, first edition books, handmade dolls
31. What happens at noon on Soulful Sunday?
Answer: Battle of the Best
32. Dyana co wrote No Laughing Matter for what artist?
Answer: Jean Carn
33. Dyana is a Cultural Ambassador for what?
Answer: Philly 360
34. What person did Dyana admire most?
Answer: Gordon Parks
35. What university did Dyana graduate from Cume Laude?
Answer: Temple University
36. What television show is Dyana a frequent commentator on?
37. What tv show does Dyana do the voice over for?
Answer: Verses & Flow
38. What documentary is producing with noted director Nelson George?
Answer: Gamble, Huff & Bell The Sound of Philadelphia
39. What magazine does Dyana write a monthly column for?
Answer: The Frequency
40. Who is Dyana’s BFF?
Answer : Cathy Hughes
Listen to “Soulful Sunday” (10a-3p) for your chance to win passes to Dyana Williams 40th Anniversary Brunch at Relish, Sunday, October 21st!